Siltech: Fostering a cleaner Africa through Electric Vehicle production

June 07, 2021 00:16:34
Siltech: Fostering a cleaner Africa through Electric Vehicle production
Built in Africa
Siltech: Fostering a cleaner Africa through Electric Vehicle production
/

Hosted By

Emmanuel Paul

Show Notes

In this episode of Built in Africa, we examine how Nigerian e-mobility company, Savenhart Technology Limited (Siltech), wants to foster a cleaner Africa through Electric Vehicles production.

Other Episodes

Episode

March 22, 2021 00:34:28
Episode Cover

Bonus: Secure digital currencies for the future of Africa, a discussion.

Build the money of the future at https://currency.techpoint.africa/ Image by WorldSpectrum from Pixabay Please subscribe, share and drop a review of this podcast, by searching for ‘Built in Africa’ on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts. You can also email us feedback at [email protected] For more stories on startups and innovation in Africa, please visit techpoint.africa ...

Listen

Episode

December 07, 2020 00:12:25
Episode Cover

M-Lugha: Building digital interactive apps in African native languages

Build the money of the future at https://currency.techpoint.africa/ Additional music from www.zapsplat.com. Photo Credit: Global Partnership for Education – GPE Flickr via Compfight FULL TRANSCRIPT [Voices: Call and response] Narrator: The voices you just heard are from a regular pre-primary class in rural Kenya. Only that the language of instruction is neither English nor Kiswahili, the two officially recognised languages of instruction in the country. Teaching in Kiswahili or English is not an issue if you were in Nairobi, Mombasa, or the 30% of counties that make up urban Kenya. But for kids in the remaining 70% of counties, it’s definitely inconvenient.   Abdinoor Almahdi: Imagine walking into a classroom, you’re just like me (I only know Somali) but the syllabus is in English or in Swahili or in French or some other countries like Rwanda and Djibouti. It’s like adding insult to injury. Narrator: That’s Abdinoor Almahdi, a Kenyan information technologist and telecommunications engineer, and the brain behind Kenyan edtech startup, M-Lugha. On this episode of Built in Africa, we tell the story of a young innovator building digital interactive apps in several Kenyan native languages, to support early childhood learning, despite locational challenges. Abdinoor grew up in Northern Kenya, a predominantly nomadic and pastoralist region, where most of the people speak only either Somali/Kalenji, as opposed to the country’s official languages of English and Kiswahili.  Abdinoor Almahdi: And actually it is almost 80% of the landmass  of Kenya. When I say ‘Northern Kenya’, we’re talking about almost 10 counties. And it’s where actually they experience the most severe educational crisis because of the socio-economic issues we have, from famine to droughts, sometimes flooding ...

Listen

Episode

August 10, 2020 00:13:34
Episode Cover

One Kiosk Africa: Hyperlocal grocery delivery within 59 minutes

This episode is brought to you by HostGator.com, web hosting that scales from easy to expert. FULL TRANSCRIPT Narrator: In February 2018, while serving as the chief operating officer of a Lagos-based tech startup, Adeshina Adewunmi found that he struggled to maintain a work-life balance. Adeshina Adewunmi: “My wife was actually ill and basically, I had to do all the grocery shopping. I had to also combine leading a tech startup.” Narrator: To ease the pressure, Adeshina went in search of online grocery delivery platforms but, according to him, he couldn’t find any that could deliver to his part of Lagos within the same day. Amidst all this, Adeshina observed the turbulence within the Nigerian eCommerce industry at the time. Most notably, Naspers, one of the most active tech investors in Africa, announced exiting Konga and OLX, its 2 biggest eCommerce plays in Nigeria, within the space of 3 days. None of the exits were under favourable conditions. This got Adeshina thinking about the obstacles preventing eCommerce from taking off in Nigeria Adeshina Adewunmi: “I started researching, alongside a few friends, to say ‘what can we do differently’? You know, Africa is very unique, copy and paste doesn’t work. You need to look at what works then readapt that model to fit our economy” Narrator: On this episode of Built in Africa, we spotlight how Lagos-based eCommerce startup, One Kiosk Africa, is exploring the hyperlocal model to achieve sustainability in a struggling market. In the course of his research, Adeshina examined how foreign companies, like US-based Instacart, operate a hyperlocal grocery delivery and pick-up service in over 5,000 cities. Adeshina Adewunmi: “I stumbled on Instacart, stumbled on Cornershop, stumbled on some other ...

Listen